A garage is more than just a place to park your car. It’s a space that can be used for storage, as a workshop, or even as a man cave. No matter how you use your garage, though, you probably want it to look its best. It may even add to your home’s resale value, too! Here are three easy ways to make your garage look better
1. Start with the floor.
One of the quickest and easiest ways to give your garage a makeover is to start with the floor. If your garage floor is looking dull and lifeless, here are some things you can do.
Powerwash your floor
Powerwashing is the process of using a high-pressure stream of water to cleanse a surface. It is often used to clean exterior surfaces such as houses, decks, and sidewalks, but it can also be used indoors for a variety of purposes. Powerwashing is a quick and easy way to cleanse a surface and remove built-up dirt, grime, and stains. It is also effective at removing graffiti and chewing gum. You can get professionals to do it for you or buy powerwashing equipment yourself. Buying the equipment might get expensive, as a pressure washer alone already costs around $250 to $400, and you’ll need other equipment like motors, hoses, nozzles, and heating units to do as thorough a job as professionals.
Install different flooring
There are a number of benefits to changing your garage’s flooring. One of the biggest benefits is that it can make your garage look a lot better. A new floor can completely change the look and feel of your garage, making it more inviting and functional. Additionally, installing new flooring can improve the safety and comfort of your garage space. If you have a concrete floor, for example, installing a layer of cushioning can help reduce the amount of noise that travels through the floor and into your home. It can also provide more traction, especially if you plan to store vehicles in your garage or any function that would increase foot traffic in the room. Here are some options:
- Epoxy Flooring: Epoxy flooring is a popular choice for garages because it’s durable and easy to clean. It’s also available in a variety of colors, so you can choose one that will match your garage’s décor.
- Concrete Flooring: If you’re looking for a durable and affordable option, concrete flooring is a good choice. It’s easy to install and can withstand heavy traffic. It also offers great traction if left unpolished, which is perfect for rubber tires. This option is perfect for the industrial look.
- Tile Flooring: Tile flooring is another popular option, especially if you want a sleek, modern look for your garage. It’s durable and easy to clean, and it comes in a variety of colors and styles. However, some tiles may not be able to carry extremely heavy loads; make sure to ask the supplier about weight ratings or force values before buying the tiles that you like.
- Vinyl Flooring: Vinyl flooring is a popular choice for garages because it’s durable and easy to clean. It’s also available in a variety of colors and designs, so you can choose one that will match your garage’s décor.
- Rubber Tile Flooring: Rubber tile flooring is another popular option, especially if you want a durable and affordable option. It’s easy to install and clean, and it can withstand heavy traffic. Most rubber tile flooring options are also non-slip.
2. Freshen up your garage.
Another way to make your garage look better is to refresh everything that needs to be refreshed; that means getting rid of the clutter and fixing up any broken areas. Here’s how you go about that:
Declutter your garage
Take some time to go through everything in your garage and determine what you need and what you don’t. Once you’ve gotten rid of the clutter, invest in some storage solutions like shelves, cabinets, and bins to help keep everything organized. There is a myriad of these online, so choose the best ones that match your desired look. Some of the most popular cabinets for people who use their garage as a workshop and car park are the Keter Rolling Tool Chest and the Seville Classics UltraHD 6-Drawer Rolling Cabinet.
Fix up broken areas
Before you start fixing any broken or damaged areas in your garage, you need to locate them. This can be done by taking a walk around the garage and inspecting every surface for any signs of damage. Be sure to look for cracks, chips, and holes in the concrete flooring, as well as dents, scratches, and rust on the walls and ceiling. Additionally, check for broken or missing tiles on the floor and any loose or damaged fixtures. Once you’ve located all of the broken or damaged areas in your garage, it’s time to fix them. Fixing a damaged area depends on what it is, so you’ll need to look for other guides for each one. You can either do this yourself or get an expert to do it. We recommend getting professionals for large jobs, such as replacing your garage door or wall.
3. Add some personality.
Finally, add some personality to your garage by hanging up some wall art or creating a custom sign. Make the garage your own! Get some ideas for design themes online or try to recreate a garage you saw in a movie, like The Fast and the Furious. Other great design themes include 60’s-style workshops, 80’s-retro, concrete-and-metal industrial, and futuristic. You can have different lighting installed to really bring out the personality. Get display cabinets for things you want to show off like your personal collections or your trophies, and you can even get a designer to make the space look better. This is a great way to show off your hobbies or interests, and it can make your space feel more like yours.
These are just a few easy ways to make your garage look better. By doing these things, you can transform your garage from a drab space into an inviting one that you’ll actually enjoy spending time in. Get started now, and make your garage the envy of every homeowner on the block!